Sunday, May 8, 2011

Week 1: Foundations of Distance Learning - Application

Distance Learning


History
In 2007 Moore wrote  “that distance education originated in Germany and the University of Tubingen”.  Rodulf Mandred Delling (1985) stated that distance education “is a planned and systematic activity that comprises the choice, didactic preparation, and presentation of teaching materials”.  Hilary Perraton (1988) stated, that “distance education is an educational process in which a significant proportion of the teaching is conducted by someone removed in space and/or time from the learner”.  And Greenville Rumble offered yet another definition in 1989 and Desmond Keegan (1996) provided yet another.(1)

Personal Definition

With all of my years in school, I had never given the subject of distance learning much thought until the second year of my undergraduate degree. I was challenged with making the decision of maintaining my current position at N Pharmaceuticals or completing my degree.  My hours were increased at the office, industry changes and new requirements for the training department which included extensive travel.

After many hours of internet based research, and a few conversation with fellow scholars, I spoke with educational counselor who recommended either online classes or blended on-line classes which required minimum attendance. This open a new world for me, not only was I able to complete my degree, but I learned that training and educational did not have to be in a traditional classroom setting to obtain instruction.

Based on my experience, my personal definition of distance education is an opportunity to obtain “planned and systematic educational activity” which allows for bridging of any gaps that would allow an individual to obtain an educational or continued studies.  After completing my first online class, I have observed  many different types of distance learning from learning management system in the corporate world to discussion boards at public and private universities.  All of which afford students of all ages and locations to receive instruction from a trained instructor with no limitation of time and space/location.

Vision

Looking into the future, I envision children participating in computer supported collaborative learning even before attending pre-school classes.  This seems to be helping them to construct their basic knowledge in preparation for their attendance to school. For example, my granddaughter who is one year old currently uses my ipad to trace letters with her figures, to select figures and numbers and even to match colors.

As a result of the “No Child Left Behind Act which requires states to offer alternative schooling options to students”; (2) we are seeing more parents conducting “home-study” because of the schools inabilities to provide the require education for certain children.  I foresee states eliminating some of the face-to-face education in K-12, as has been happening more and more in colleges and universities providing online classes and other web-based curriculum. 

Corporations are also moving towards web-based training or e-learning on learning management systems for many reasons, primarily for the benefit of cost effectiveness, which may be the same reason schools are.

My New Definition and Vision of Distance Learning


In summary, not only has the definition of distance learning changed, the constant evolution of technology is impacting how quickly it changes.

References:

1. Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (4th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson. Chapter 2, "Definitions, History, and Theories of Distance Education" (pp. 31–40 only) 

2. Huett, J. Moller, L. Foshay, w. Coleman, C.  Implication for Instructional Design on the Potential of the Web. TechTrends September/October 2008 

No comments:

Post a Comment